6.24.2007

A three hour tour....a three hour tour...


Mishiwaka(SP?) summerfest. I drove 3 hours with guitar player, bass rig and guitar player's rig crammed in the back of the Explorer. ipod gained a few hours of use listening to Blow By Blow, Big Head Todd and a few others. Arrive and park behind the stage along with the army of SUV's. Thankfully drummer snagged some beer on the way up. Dry festival. Who does that? Who decides to hire a stage, production, and a facility; sell elephant ears, glow sticks(i guess they just discovered them in northern Indiana) and sausages but not sell BEER!? Whatever.
Watching the Blues Brothers cover band from behind while sitting in bass players SUV, it becomes evident that it is actually a Blues Brother, the "Elwood-Akroyd" brother niether sang or danced much. Jake did all the singing. I think Elwood was the only person who fit in the suit, hat and glasses. Easy gig for him.
After a couple of diet beers it was time to put on my BE hat. (Band Engineer-a person who travels with a particular artist and provides his\her talent solely for that artist) This is fun because for a brief moment I get to point, yell, describe, and harass all the hands. In a nice way.
i stumble through the sea of foldable beach chairs, feeling a million eyes, and make it to the tent. my first impression: sounds wierd.
The Rig:JBL Vertec. (don't remember the model, and don't care) Nicely flown with some ground stacked subs that no one seemed to know what they were. All Crown IT amplifiers. A rack full of DBX comps, Drawmer gates, 990's, D2, and the new 2000. A newer PC lap running Smaartlive, and the console. A midas venice 32. The fucking LD had a bigger console. I introduced myself with the old robere joke; "Honey,I shrunk the console!!"
laughs all around and everyone was nice and helpful.
After Blues Brother and Co. finished, I took a hold of rockstars amp and found its home on the stage.Then gave monitor guy a 5 min description, we ran through the wedges and IEM's.
i went out front and started the frenzy mix.
Took a song, then another to get me happy. All I can say is, i like Vertec and IT's. The mic sounded like it was right in front of me all night. Maybe it was the sober gig?